Southwest education Academy
The Southwest Education Academy is the Iron County School District’s alternative high school. It is fully accredited through AdvancEd. We offer smaller class sizes, individualized instruction, and a full student schedule of required courses towards a 24-credit high school diploma. In addition to passing assigned classes, students are expected to take advantage of an Independent Study class where they make up courses they’ve failed in the past.
Who do we serve?
SEA is for 11th-12th graders who:
- try really hard at the boundary high school but are still in need of additional interventions.
- are credit deficient.
- have a chance at graduating with their class (24-credit diploma is within reach).
What SERVICES do we offer?
SEA offers participants:
- smaller class sizes
- Independent Study opportunities (online, textbooks, packets, etc.).
- more individualized instruction and support.
- services through the last day of school.
How are students referred?
Prospective SEA students:
- receive MTSS interventions at boundary high schools.
- are referred through an electronic referral form by administration and counselors. A SSC meeting will be scheduled (student, parent, counselor, special education teacher, administration, and SEA administration).
- are expected to be doing all that they can at the boundary high school to be successful. IF A STUDENT IS ATTENDING YOUR SCHOOL REGULARLY, TURNING IN ASSIGNMENTS, and DOING WHAT TEACHERS ARE ASKING, YET STILL NEEDS EXTRA SUPPORT, SEA IS THE IDEAL PLACEMENT.